Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Battle of the BMX Cruisers...

To Sunday or not to Sunday?
That is the question.

Since the first day I started this blog, I knew I would be buying a bicycle to officially get me back into the game.

Now it's been eight long months and I've finally got the money to lay down on a new bike.
The problem is, I can't decide which one to get.

This is a bit of a bummer concerning that over $550 is riding on this decision.
(No pun intended.)

Well, I've decided to weigh the pros and cons evenly in order to make an informed decision.

First off, my height and size demand that I get a cruiser. I'm just way too big and my knees always feel like they're going to smack the handlebars.

Now in the cruiser category, I want a quality ride with tip-top parts. I mean, if I'm going to drop the money, I may as well get the good stuff no?

So I've whittled my selection down to these two magnificent pieces of equipment:

They're both great rides, with their own share of pros and cons...



The 2010 Sunday Model C Complete.





PRO: Raised Bottom Bracket (13", I believe.)
PRO: 8 different Odyssey parts (A big one since I'm a huge ODSY fan.)
PRO: 8" rise handlebar. Great for big guys and it keeps the 20" feel.
PRO: Sundays are a rare breed around these parts! (See CONS.)

CON: 21.25" Top Tube. (I really wish they'd have gone with the 21.75" size.)
CON: 28.43 lbs. (She's a hoss!)
CON: Retail $569.95 (Right at the tippy-top of my budget. I may not even be able to afford taxes on this thing.)
CON: Sundays are a rare breed around these parts. My bike shop will have to special order it exclusively from the Full Factory distributors. (SLC is Fit country; no doubt about it.)








The 2010 Fit CR24 Complete.





PRO: Easily Available! I could buy this sucker tomorrow if I wanted.
PRO: Retail $549.99 (Twenty bucks I can blow on a Fit T-shirt!)
PRO: 25.5 lbs. (That's as light as some of the 20" whips out there.)
PRO: Replacement parts easily available. (Like that sick Rasta-color stem. Maybe I'll save up for that.)

CON: Traditional cruiser geometry. (I really like the Sunday concept behind the raised bottom bracket.)
CON: Short handlebars. (6" rise. Eww.)
CON: TEKTRO U-brake. (I've heard horror stories about these suckers. I prefer Odyssey parts anyhow.)
CON: 21.25" Top Tube. (OK. I guess this con is a push.)

Shoot, most of the cruisers in SLC are Fits. Market exclusivity really cuts down on individualism.
But there are the pros and cons.

Now the real question always boils down to money and weight.
I've got to ask myself:
Is the Sunday frame and Odyssey parts worth the extra three pounds and 20-30 bucks?

Points to ponder.
You know, I think I'll take this post to the RIDE-BMX forums to see what the BMX masses think!

Here goes nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment